Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Ilze's chair

For my chair design I decided to combine Finnish - Lapland's traditional costume COLOURS:
Blue
Red
White 
(instead of yellow)

Sitting part of chair I decided to make in crochet technique.
For pattern I choose three colour combinated regular pattern from Latvia's traditional costume's skirt (3rd from right):
Back part of chair I will felt from white wool, do decorative crochet lace in white around circumference and decorate with tablet woven belt (because it is ancient Latvian and Finnish belt weaving technique and in traditional costumes there usually are some parts done in this technique) in three coulour - white, blue, red, combination.

During the process I decided to decorate chair legs with four felted ''boots'' with decorative tablet woven belts, similar to one I made for back part of chair. Somehow this idea about felted boots reminded me russian traditional winter footwear valenki. As our both, Latvian and Finnish historys are connected with Russia I think this idea would fit for this project. Here: http://kids-gazette.blogspot.com/2011/02/vuti-krievu-valenki-latviesu-gaume.html I found some nice information about contemporary valenki trends which are connected with Latvian design.
My inspiration for boots is this picture from here:
рыночная ниша - недостаток в латвии, риге валенок


No comments:

Post a Comment